Monday 30 May 2011

El Barrio Restaurante Latino -- Hit and Miss Mexican

2270 East Hastings Street, Vancouver

Food: 3
Service: 4
Price: Moderate

I thought I'd tasted most of the notables on the Mexican scene in the 604 until I found out about El Barrio not too long ago. I admit, I'm a Tex-Mex girl at heart, so I've never been on the look-out for an authentic Mexican spot. What brought me here was a little invitation from my friend G to watch her husband's band play the night away on a Saturday night. Though I was a little sick that night, I couldn't resist a night out,
especially when there was a new menu to be tried :)


A busy Saturday night here.


Our favourite band of the night: Cafe Con Leche
What to Expect:
·    live musical entertainment
·    a dark, candle-lit atmosphere (dinner)
·    a friendly, very down-to-earth staff
·    gluten-free options
·    a menu fit for those who desire typical favourites like tostadas, tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, burritos, and quesadillas, and also for those who desire Mexican dishes outside those parameters  

Carnitas Taco, (somewhere from $9 to $10)
Carnitas, cabbage, and cilantro on soft taco tortillas, served with a side salsa
As reviewed by G:
·    (“carnitas” is seasoned pulled roasted pork)
·    the carnitas were very tender, and not too spicy
·    the crunchiness of the cabbage added a bit of contrast to the softness of the pork
·    overall, the dish was slightly acidic, so salt was added to balance-out the flavour
·    very filling and delicious

Chicken Taco, (somewhere from $9 to $10)
Chicken breast, raw onions, and cilantro on soft taco tortillas, served with a side salsa
·    since I was sick, I didn’t feel very adventurous that night, so I picked a boring dish
·    the chicken breast was really dry and had no taste to it
·    the raw onions overpowered the effect of the cilantro
·    didn’t like the tortilla: bland and had the texture of very thin rubber pancakes
·    the side salsa was more than mildly spicy, but not too, too spicy, and even it couldn’t save the taco from being the disaster it was
·    overall, it was one of the blandest restaurant dishes I’ve had in awhile
·    I could probably make a better taco dish at home!
·    I do not recommend this taco dish

Ibarra Chocolate Cream Brule, $8.95
A MUST HAVE. A delicate mix of Ibarra chocolate cinnamon and vanilla, served with a raspberry coulee
·    5 people at our table had their spoons in this dish
·    it took a couple of light taps to crack open its top layer of crystallized caramel...mmmmmmm
·    first impression: tastes like a Duncan Hines chocolate cake, but with the texture of a smooth crème brule!
·    G’s friends J and T also commented that it tasted like chocolate cake
·    G said it tasted like  a marriage between tiramisu, chocolate cake, and mousse
·    raspberry always compliments chocolate so well, and there was no exception here
·    one of the most unique dessert dishes I’ve had in the Lower Mainland, definitely
·    if I come back in the future, I will certainly order this again    

Flan de Caramelo, $6.25
Vanilla custard baked with caramelized sugar

El Barrio is a lively, down-to-earth atmosphere infused with some Mexican spice. This is definitely a great place to chill and unwind with friends at the end of the day, but I don’t think I’d recommend this place just for the food. The Chicken Taco I had was terrible. As well, I had a tasting of the Carnitas Taco, and I wasn’t blown away. If a Mexican restaurant can’t get a taco right, then it makes me wonder about the overall quality of the cooking at this restaurant. Of course, I absolutely loved the Ibarra Chocolate Cream Brule, but I personally don’t think desserts should speak for the rest of the menu. So, I’m kind of on the fence about El Barrio. I watched G’s husband (who’s a native Mexican) chow his way down his entree like there was no better dish to be had, so I’m convinced that this place must cook other items really well. However, I’m not sure when I’ll be able to find out whether that’s true in the near future because for now, I think I’ll still want to stick with my dependable Tex-Mex when I’m in the mood for Mexican.

El Barrio Restaurante Latino on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment