Wednesday 4 May 2011

Guu Kitanoya (Gastown) -- Fabulous

#105 - 375
Water Street, Vancouver


Food:
4.5

Service:
4

Price:

Moderate (cheaper per person with larger groups)

I can't say enough about izakayas! They are a combination of tasty eye-tantalizing Japanese food, a good time, friends, and a lot of laughs. When I found out my co-worker was organizing a staff dinner at Guu Kitanoya, I could not hold back my giddiness. I actually was here a few months ago for my birthday, and was really surprised how much I loved, loved, loved some of the dishes because I wasn't wowed by the dishes at a previous Guu (Thurlow) visit I made a few years ago. Eating some of my birthday favorites and trying some new ones too were definitely on my mind for the night.

What to expect:
·    a loud welcoming staff and friendlier service relative to similar restaurants
·    a predominantly grilled/fried-item menu fit for sharing amongst small parties to large groups
·    a fun mix of milky cocktail drinks that are unique to this particular Guu restaurant
·    a regular menu, plus an extra menu with new items from the kitchen


Ebimayo, $7.80
·      typical ebimayo: fried batter, juicy prawns, and seasoned mayo
·      small size--I've certainly have had bigger before!
·      for small little things, they were sure plump and super juicy; very melt-in-your-mouth!

Salmon with Seven Friends, $7.90
·      presented on our table as a beautiful platter of salmon sashimi, green onions, pickles, a single raw egg, and other ingredients
·      server provided a quick description of each ingredient on the plate, and then proceeded to whip all the ingredients together with some mad skills
·      served the mixture onto mini seaweed wrappers served on the side
·      crunchy and smooth, but with a nice sour, sweet, and oniony taste

Okonomi Yaki, $6.30
·     wedges of pan-fried flour cakes covered with mayo, nori, and bonito flakes on top
·   very melt-in-your mouth!
·    I would order this again


 Sashimi Salad, $7.80
·      salmon and tuna sashimi slices topped on mixed greens and tomatoes
·      very generous with the size and quantity of sashimi pieces
·      greens were very crunchy
·      lemon slices squeezed over the salad added a nice zest to a very fresh salad

Vanilla Ice Cream and French Baguette Stone Bowl
(not on the regular menu)
·    warm ice-cream soup bubbling over baguette slices underneath a large mound of cold vanilla ice-cream
·    warm, chewy, and then suddenly cold; a great “comfort dessert” to end the night. 


I absolutely cannot wait to come here again. There was a really good energy here that started with the staff’s boisterous welcome. I would so recommend this place if you’re celebrating a birthday. The staff sings Happy Birthday to the top of their lungs much like a classic Red Robins crew J I would also recommend reservations here for large groups because the restaurant isn’t very big at all. I’ve been here on weekday and weekend nights, and have never seen it completely full, but fairly busy. So if you’re looking for a nice izakaya to drop-in to, this should be a great bet.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh the dessert looks so good! It is so creative! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Linda! b/c I thought I did the worst review for this one...one of my fav restaurants in Vancouver though!

    ReplyDelete