Friday 27 May 2011

Simply Delicious (SD) Galleria and Sushi Lounge– Grungy with Cheap Deals


The night was young....Yes, it was bright.
4316 Main Street, Vancouver 

Food: Small meal, so individual items are rated below.
Service: 3
Price: Cheap

Sometimes you just don’t know what’s around the corner until you stumble upon it, and that’s definitely the case I had with SD Galleria. I’ve passed it time and time again while making my way down the Main Street strip on the weekends, but never had an inkling to walk my way up to this 2nd floor sushi eatery.
It just so happened that my girlfriends wanted to watch playoff hockey, and we needed a place to
 catch the game. Surprisingly, we found out not a lot of places on the Main Street strip have televisions, but I had a hunch this place would, and it did! Multiple televisions! Though we settled here to watch tv, we discovered a menu here that might have me coming back here for more late night eats in the future.

What to Expect:
·    a dark (barely any candlelight) restaurant! Lots of windows, but they’re all shaded
·    grungy, eclectic themed restaurant
·    a large menu with lists of sushi, izakaya items, donburis, yakisobas, sashimi, and desserts
·    $3 daily drink specials
·    $0.99 California Rolls! (eat-in only)
·    3 or 4 televisions you can watch at all angles of the restaurant
·    a very young serving staff that’s not on top of the menu
·    tight, vandalized washroom stalls

 Interior
Some of my favourite restaurants in the 604 are the hip-grungy ones. This place is grungy, for sure, but it’s not hip. There’s no cool music and the decor of the space is not tastefully eclectic. I noticed random comic books on the wall, framed hockey jerseys, neon lights, a disco ball, a solar bear statue, random toys laying around, this and that furniture, and a hidden print of the Mona Lisa hanging somewhere in the back. Its design reminds me of the Eatery on West Broadway (which is my absolute favourite place!), but moreso the wannabe version of that restaurant. It doesn’t look like it was designed, it just looks like somebody’s messy room....

Cafe Su Dua Coffee ($3.75) -- 3 / 5
·    it’s Vietnamese coffee: drip coffee with condensed milk
·    came with an extra cup of hot water that you could pour into the top filter if you wanted more coffee
·    was on the dessert list rather than on the beverage list
·    when ordering, I asked our server if it was Vietnamese coffee (to be sure), and she
     said that the restaurant had that (although it wasn’t listed on the menu), but she’d
     never heard of the “Cafe Su Dua Coffee” that was listed on the menu....

California Roll ($0.99, Eat-in only) -- 4 / 5
·    imitation crab, avocado, cucumber, nori, sushi rice, and sesame seeds
·    (for takeout, the price of the California Roll is higher)
·    since it was cheap, I was ready to be disappointed, but it was pretty good!
·    this was how you’d expect a decent California roll to be served: rolled tight, not too 
     big, not too much mayonnaise in the imitation crab mix, soft avocado, and noticeable
     cucumbers

This snack was a second meal after a satisfying dinner at another restaurant that night. I can honestly say I had an unexpected good experience here just because the food was better than I thought it would be. I really have to come back again another day to get a better idea of this place. Hopefully this place will still be here when I decide to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment